Anderson Island, Washington
Park and Recreation District

Your Subtitle text
Andy's Marine Park

Trailhead located on Claussen Road.  Water access is Carlson Bay.


Andrew Anderson Marine Park:
  The core of the park was the gift of Andrew Anderson (1895-1975), a true visionary concerned with the preservation of the way of life we cherish on our island.  The partially looped trail winds through a heavily wooded area with many native plants and trees.   It includes enormous Douglas firs, featuring gorgeous views and ends at a beautiful tidal inlet that is a salmon nursery area and includes a 3/4 mile public beach with driftwood, shells, rocks, and aquatic life.  The park is only accessible by trail from a trailhead and parking area located on Claussen Road or by water.  Twentyone acres were added on the north end of this park in 2008 courtesy of a Conservation Futures grant with the support of the Cascade Land Conservancy.  The park now encompasses 81 acres.  The sand and gravel spit within the Marine Park is also a Washington State Watertrails campsite that is only available by reservation through the Park District.  Portions of the trail near the lagoon are challenging due to steepness.  Also, hikers may find it necessary to traverse tidal areas to reach the sand spit.  DID WE MENTION THAT THIS A  TIDAL AREA?  Tidal differences as much as 12-14 feet are not unusual.  It is recommended that visitors plan their visit and return to the trail during low tide!!

See park and trail map below, and photo's.  Additional photo's are available by selecting "Children's Nature Camp from the main menu.


Park Commissioner Contact:  Chuck Hinds  253-884-6911   

Website Builder